My Movie Reviews

A look at movies by jtenman.

7/21/2009

The Secret Life Of Bees

Posted by JTENMAN



Release Date: 17 October 2008
Time: 1 hr 50 min
Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: PG-13
Starring: Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah, Paul Bettany, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys
Grade: A-

Synopsis: Haunted by memories of her late mother, 14-year-old Lily Owens (Dakota Fanning) runs away with her friend and caregiver Rosaleen (Jennifer Hudson) to the South Carolina town that holds the key to her mother's past. There, Lily meets the Boatwright sisters (Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys, Sophie Okonedo), who take her in and teach her about beekeeping, honey and the Black Madonna.

My Review: I was very impressed by this film. Very rarely do I find a film better than the book it is based on, but this is one of those rare exceptions. I think the main reason is because of the excellent cast and acting in this film. They truly brought the story to life of Lily trying to find herself. The film follows the book almost exactly with only one small derivation that doesn't affect a whole lot. I really enjoyed this movie.

Recommend: Date night film. Children won't be interested, but this is truly a great film to watch with someone else. Definitely check this movie out.

0 comments: