My Movie Reviews

A look at movies by jtenman.

11/16/2008

Gattaca

Posted by JTENMAN



Release Date: October 24, 1997
Time: 1 hr 46 min
Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: PG-13
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law
Grade: A-

Synopsis:In the 21st century, genetic engineering makes possible the creation of biologically superior human specimens ("valids"), who then grow to positions of power and prestige. Would-be astronaut Vincent (Ethan Hawke) born the old-fashioned way, can only hope for a janitorial position at the elite Gattaca Corporation--until he buys the blood, urine, and identity of a perfect but paralyzed athlete. But a murder in the company's ranks attracts the attention of a detective who threatens to sniff Vincent out.

My Review: This film never ceases to amaze me. I have watched this movie before - the last time was about 5 years ago. When we decided to watch it, I thought it was going to be a real snoozer, but it turned out to be just the opposite. I think that my favorite character in the film is the one played by Jude Law. He does an excellent job with showing his disability, but the film as a whole is very intriguing. I am usually not a big fan of Uma Thurman, but she does an excellent job here as well. Probably the thing I like most about this film is just that it makes you think about life and what you are really like on the inside, as well as about the equality of everyone.

Recommend: I don't think this one is for the little ones. There is one scene that is a bit bloody, and another that has some strong language. Just the theme of the movie is a little darker than a lot and I think the kids will become lost fast. However, this one is perfect if you want a serious (drama) film. Check this out if you haven't, or we'll lend it to you.

0 comments: